Bringing together Research and Industry for the Development of Glider Environmental Services
The sole European underwater glider: SeaExplorer will be modularized, new sensors will be developed, and the operational methodology will be modified, such that new horizons of service will be opened.
It will be improved by:
- adapting for deep basins (up to 5000 m),
- implementing a novel payload architecture to increase autonomy and to accommodate the range of sensing capabilities needed,
- integrating the associated control support system for single and networked operations (mission behaviour, data management, planning, communications).
The glider’s sensing capabilities will be enhanced.
The main modules are planned for:
- environmental monitoring for facilitating the effective implementation of an ecosystem-based management under the Marine Strategy Framework Directive,
- the oil and gas industry,
- the deep sea mining industry.
In order to achieve the technological objectives and meet service requirements, an open dialogue between stakeholders will be developed. The basic premises of the present call “Delivering sub-sea technologies for new services at sea-BG-06-2014,” are answered thoroughly: the ability to execute unmanned underwater operations, to operate in the deep ocean, and to assess the environmental impact of the maritime economy. In addition, this project will realize and promote the creation of collaborations among sensor and platform manufacturers, oil and gas and mining companies, public health and safety departments, and scientific and engineering experts.
More information about the project can be found at the project website.